Monday 29 August 2011

Enter Fiercely

1: The ABC is - as I type this - running a story about weekend penalty rates. On the side of abolishment. "We can't hire as many staff," they say, "and that hurts the very people it's meant to help --"
2: I'd rather write a prescribed essay than a "free choice". Now I have too many options.
3: The first pair of critiques, the one on an adaptation of Jane Austen's Persuasion, was easy to differentiate between. The one made constant use of words like wonderful and brilliant and witty and loathsome, which, when you read them, tell you nothing at all. The second - not brilliant, but passable - actually added oh I don't know maybe two specific examples.
4: It was The Big Sleep (1946). Half of the people who were there at the start of the screening were no longer there by the end.
5: On my way from the street to the Agora, I got stuck behind a group of four people discussing - quite loudly - whether Robespierre's historical reputation as the "perfect"/"corrupted" revolutionary was deserved or oh my God I'm famous and misunderstood
6: At the supermarket, there were two girls (staff members) behind registers, opposite one another, talking to each other as though killing time between customers. Their registers were closed and blocked off with trolleys.
7: The ladies at the Centrelink office didn't ask for my CAN this time. Then they told me to sit in the "second waiting area; red chair". It took me all of ten seconds to spot the red chairs. Why did this not happen last time? What changed? Oh god they're going to say they never saw my tenancy form, aren't they --
8: Twice, today, I've been called 'Mark'. This happens sometimes.
9: I don't know how old the younger sister was supposed to be, but I'm pretty sure she was a twelve-year-old being played by a twenty-something. It confused the hell out of me until I realised, "oh yeah, older people play younger characters in 1946".
10: Bake 'n' Bean had a queue of about ten and only two staff in the shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment