Monday 8 August 2011

You Slice It

1: Miles splash-killed a guy who was already being assassinated, and got booted from the game for it. It was all downhill from there.
2: On the Sunday night shift, I was brought in to clean produce. Never done it before, and nobody wanted to teach me. The guy supposed to teach me lacked the confidence. The guy who knows it all wouldn't give me the time of day; when I told him I was keen, he gave me that half-grunt half-sigh that can only be expressed in the word "ugh".
3: I 'overheard' a conversation earlier about the difficulty of getting a job with little to no experience; they settled on selling learning capacity and work ethic.
4: On my way by the Carlton Gardens, something jilted the silence - a possum scurried along, its path parallel with mine. I halted; it hopped closer and rummaged in the topsoil. I crept closer, up the step, and got within a metre of it, crouched down. It looked this way and that; not blind! Its ears perked up for a passing jogger; not deaf! I sprang up, worried that it mightn't fuss if I reached out to touch it. It took only three short bounds away and listened; by that, I was more phased than he.
5: A gathering just outside the museum. Those of you who know the Melbourne Museum would know that out the front is no place to gather; it is roughly an acre of cold, bare concrete surrounded by angular grey architecture and conscious spot-lighting in that style we Melbournians 'love'. Yet on a Sunday night, there they were, twenty of them, all in dark clothing featuring chains and band names and bright hair. They were smiling and laughing amongst themselves.
6: A male classmate name-dropped an academic source that "should have been used" in the essay under discussion. In the next essay we looked at, the same source was used. The author also alluded to being female.
7: One essay was written "from a feminist perspective", where the only feminist analysis made was to condemn the chauvinist characters in the text.
8: I shuffled my way to the first free chair, opened my thermos, and coffee came out. All over my leg.
9: I like my vegetables lightly steamed. My housemates like them rendered paste by the force of heat.
10: The zucchini on our porch wasn't a retaliation.

3 comments:

  1. So what *was* the zucchini on your porch about? Or does that stay a mystery?

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorrie! i told you when the vegetables would be done to your liking! and you didn't get any out. i am just slightly insulted that you think they were 'rendered paste by force of heat'. also remember that time when you steamed those vegetables in the microwave for like 1 minute only and they were still frozen in the middle?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What the? I wasn't talking about your cooking. I was talking about the peculiarity of our differing tastes. Did I say there was a right or wrong way to do them? No. All I meant to imply was that it's an odd quirk how we each don't like the other's way.

    ReplyDelete