Sunday 28 August 2011

Ad Nauseum

I went to work, fell sick, came home, played Dragon Age. I've gotten to Ostagaar three times and only just now settled on a character I'm happy with for a first run through.

1: The character whose journey begins because he loses everything. They have a particular appeal to me when they're done well. Extra points if there's something to go back for but much later. "Voldemort killed my parents" does not fall into this category. I'm sure Freud would have much to say about this peculiar taste.
2: "Cans? I'm sure I heard him say stubbies..." Oh well, time to carry the slab right to the back of the store and then carry another one to the front and then get back to --
3: I told Iggy, "stop whining for five minutes and then I'll let you in, k?" - that was at three twenty-five. She got right up to three twenty-nine before I heard her whimper at me. Sorry, Iggy. Your test mark? Unsatisfactory.
4: It occurred to me when I looked in the mirror that the soreness in the back of my mouth, the sniffles, the nausea and constant need to swallow my own spit pointed to only one thing that gives me that combination. I knew the answer before I opened my mouth to look.
5: After having played two of Dragon Age's origin stories, I've picked out a few patterns between them. One; two 'safe' areas where the NPC's and everyone your character knows mill about. These also contain a bunch of items and regalia to get you started. Two; two separate adventuring sequences wherein you have a few combat experiences, including at least one boss (which may be a leader class enemy and a large rallied group, rather than a monster). Three; a "best friend" from whom you get separated at the end of the origin story. Four; at least one sideplot that's used to exercise your character's personality (dialogue options), rather than combat prowess, Five; an intrigue that forces your character out of his/her comfort zone and into a situation that will affect everybody around him/her, Six; a twist at the resolution of this intrigue. Seven; Duncan (the leader of the Grey Wardens) always appears before you once, at minimum, as a simple (or near to) 'chance meeting'. Eight; well, of course, Duncan recruits you, don't he?
I'll see if these same patterns are consistent in the other origin stories. And whether I can spot others.
6: I walked past the manager's wife in the middle of saying...something inconsequential to me I guess, I can't remember what it was. Two minutes later, I came back the other way, and she used the same words again, in the same conversation. Did -- did -- they change something in the Matrix!?

No comments:

Post a Comment