Tuesday 23 August 2011

Slow News Day

Been a while. Had three assignments last week and now I'm behind in everything else. Just gonna do everything I can think of since.

1: Because I'm tall and have dark, curly hair, my film classmates decided that I, too, am an "Adrian". I don't have the paunch, glasses, ocker accent or impressive credentials, though.
2: I still don't understand how a house can be designed so that you have to walk through a refrigerator to escape the basement. I guess I'll find out in February (if not sooner)?
3: People are always surprised when drunks can still spell fine on a phone. Sometimes it's attributed to spell-checkers and auto-text, but I have another hypothesis; maybe, of all things, one's ability to text coherently is one of the later things to go? This at least seems true whenever I do it, because I don't use spell-checkers.
4: I did actually use spell-checker for the hyphens in the previous point. Quiet, you.
5: The lady at Subway was talking about how she "aims to please", and still managed to wear a bored frown the whole time we were in there.
6: My "rewritten" essay got a whole 3% margin of difference. Upward, of course. You'd hate to go downward...
7: Bin spoke in class about Chinese rationale. Bin spoke! His accent was thick, his command of English halting, but he got enough through to be interesting.
8: I told Giles that I thought the Tao Te Ching sounded "as vague as possible", which to me meant "as meaningless as possible", and then laughed at myself mid-sentence as I realised how - while that's useless for communication or ethics, per se - the "reflection" it creates is a different kind of teaching. Just like water -- the ironies involved in this epiphany were not lost on me.
9: The puppy keeps trying to find step-ups to the guinea pig enclosure. The guinea pig was given away two days ago to an enthralled little boy called Billy.
10: There was a crash on the freeway. Seven cars banked up, stopped, as they towed the wrung metal aside.

2 comments:

  1. LOL, I'm sorry, it's really hard to describe the refrigerator thing. You make it sound far more hilarious than it really is though, I'm afraid. But now I really want to design a house where that really IS true. It could be like a secret door to the basement lair! Through the fake fridge! OMG I could use that for my superhero story!!

    P.S. Are you trying to make february my favorite month? :3 I won't count on it being february though. And by that I mean I'll take that as an estimate as to when you'll arrive. I will, on the other hand, be counting on the month of february happening.

    P.P.S. It appears that alcohol affects different people's spelling differently. Cuz there were an awful lot of non-words in those messages Liesl was getting, and I'm pretty sure that's not the norm for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, use it. :) I mean that's part of what this exercise is for

    ReplyDelete