Thursday 4 August 2011

Period Piece

1: The tape was black, with a scarlet flip. It brooded merrily in the hand.
2: Jam congealed in the corner of the jar as I tilted it. The knife barely fit, and as I tried to scoop out the purple blob, it burst like a blood-blister, spilling further into its glass hideaway and leaving me with thin, pulpy shreds.
3: Kirchner's hand was ringed with tiny pen marks; the ruins of tallies and Roman numerals just a flea's length below the bases of his fingers.
4: French Toast really is just the eggs and the bread. The cheap stuff is sub-par; you can feel it congeal your gut with its cost-cutting. Get the right bread and nothing can compare.
5: The Spaniard had a lot to say and to show; she was eager for her ideas to be on display, her eyes and teeth colgate white, her hands waving. The other girl had little to say and much to take in; her hair was carefully straightened and fringed, her dark cheeks carefully blushed. So much care in her appearance, and yet in two subjects I've never seen her smile. It was a relief to take control of the editing suite.
6: Iggy tried to trip me up for pats, and then started looking at me expectantly when I made a sandwich. She didn't go away until I'd finished eating it.
7: Twice, now, I've run into The Woz at that awful curry shop on the corner, just this week.
8: Two of the blondes made it clear they don't want to be directors - "too stressful". Wise move if that's their perogative; glad to know there's less competition.
9: A plastic 1.25l, one of my old coffee jars and a bottle of Jack & Coke all fell off the top of the recycling pile, with their lids on.
10: Somehow, I manage to be irritated at people who insist, they must post a reply to this joke that they don't get. Then I see somebody post a joke that I don't get, and I think, how dare they post in-jokes publicly! As though to declare, "you never gonna get this, you never gonna get this! La-la-laaa", and I say to myself, "Right! I'm posting a response!"

No comments:

Post a Comment