Friday 2 September 2011

Did I Just

1: Jim Schembri. Oh lord, Jim Schembri. All at once a deliberate belligerent and yet sort-of respectable reviewer; he complains that the rebooted Batman franchise (Christopher Nolan, 2005, 2008) doesn't fit the action genre and then sings all kinds of praises for Deathly Hallows Part II. And then in April 2011 he goes all Scott Adams and tells his fans they're idiots. You don't need a time machine to view google cache.
2: I write in spurts, inter-dispersed with Facebook and denialism and telling people about the amazing half-of-an-essay I just wrote. Then I get coffee.
3: Two minutes on the tram and I was already sweating. I wasn't even wearing second layers. It was hot today, and the tram was hotter.
4: I ran into CJ and Tassie within five seconds of each other on my way to the bus. HUGS ALL ROUND, it's hot today right? Okay gotta go
5: I got my essay finished with an hour to spare. It felt good. The home stretch was like thinking you're only halfway through a marathon and suddenly realising you've got ten metres to go - what to do with all that paced energy now?
6: I ID'd a group of three guys who looked like either high school or college. They were all 91's and 92's; a short delay later I realised, "yes, they are over 18." I turned to Kal afterward; "it's the 93's turning 18 this year, isn't it-!?" - sadly, yes.
7: Some guy near the front of the audience started singing - loudly - at around the midpoint of each song. He was skilled, but a little off. We weren't sure whether it was supposed to happen until Munaf's expression turned to a puzzled frown. Then we knew the guy was making it up on the spot.
8: A random, playing guitar. A djembe, left unoccupied. An opportunity too good to miss. Music is born. We played four songs and swapped contact details later. He says he's no relation to some old friends of mine, despite sharing the name.
9: Distant, suddenly. Preoccupied, maybe. I hope I didn't cause offence.
10: I've been in a good mood all day today, which is odd, because I feel as though I've been in a funk for a couple of weeks prior to getting sick. I feel positivity.
11: "Splendiferous, thanks! You?" he said. All I could say is, "...Um, good, thanks. I do like that word though." I tried to make up for lost ground by telling him that I hope his day continues to be splendiferous.

No comments:

Post a Comment