Monday 14 March 2011

Den Of Thieves

It's been one of those weekends.

1: Having lunch any later than 12:30 on a workday drives me half-blind. I stop seeing. I can hear their voice, but there aren't any words. Just droning and chatter, incomprehensible, demanding the right reply.
2: Five minutes before my lunch break, whilst I'm serving in liquor, a bloke plonks a single VB stubby on the bench, with an intent, dead stare. I spot the strap of his pack. "Can I take a quick squizz in your bag?" I ask. "What!?" he replies, a little miffed - thinking he might've misunderstood the word "squizz", I rephrased. "Are you fucking joking!?" he says. Somehow I didn't freak out when he started yelling at me for "accusing him of stealing". I was hungry, and when I'm hungry I don't give a rat's what you think. I repeated the "conditions of entry into the store" at least three times, deflecting his accusation that I was accusing him of stealing. I think he was alarmed by the fact that I was neither stepping down, nor calling security, nor giving him a fight. "All right, fine! Have a look, happy now!" I looked. All he had was a pair of jeans. "Thank you very much!" I said, and put him through. He left, insisting that I'd singled him out. Whatever.
3: The Urban Burger guys saw my uniform and waved. Or maybe they do that to everybody?
4: The folks from Errol's say hi even when they're not working. This is why I get my coffee there.
5: There's an old man who gets a massive trolley of groceries every Saturday. He used to ask about Jake, every single time. Why was that? Why did he stop?
6: The bar staff at Rose don't just make sweet cocktails, they put on a show while they do it. The bottles perform acrobatic rituals in their hands and their shaking and pouring is mechanically precise.
7: When I arrived home, there was nobody here. Emma's door hung open. Satisfied that nobody was home, I played the XBox for a bit, then went to bed, and returned to find that Emma's door was firmly closed.
8: A girl talking on the phone strode off the tram, and the door slammed shut. It took me at least five seconds to realise that this strange, new atmosphere was called "silence". It was so sudden, so complete, that I thought the only person left in the world had just been shot.
9: He smiled, a little forced, as he said, "It's good to see you! Really good to see you." I was so taken aback that I forgot to reply.
10: There was actually a human to serve me at Safeway. You know, like, those things that aren't robots?

No comments:

Post a Comment